Monday, March 9, 2009

Students show you their knowledge!

What is up?

Hope everyone is surviving!

I wanted to talk about a strategy that works well in math and can see it working in many other content areas.

I observed a teacher use individual white boards for every student to answer math equations that were written on the board. The students would do the problem on their individual board and then show the teacher and the teacher would be able to give immediate feedback on errors and praise for doing well on problems.

I like this strategy because students do problems at different times and a teacher can glance around the room and give immediate feedback and do informal assessment to where certain kids are at in the content area. If a number of students made the same error, the teacher can go back and focus on the step where students are having problems. The teacher does have to be careful to not let the students get too out of control. I plan on implementing this strategy in my future classroom, the students enjoy it and the teacher has a chance to interact with students in a less stressful environment.

Thanks for all your great comments!

4 comments:

  1. Dirk, I just this week found individual white boards in my closet. I have been using those white boards this week to do 'in class homework' Students are graded upon participation and effort. I like this method for many different reasons. One is for simplicity of grading. Another is for the added time I get with students one on one. Also, when students have 'down time' the spend it drawing instead of talking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy this method with spanish students also. I also enjoy another method that is similar. I imagine that you have students go up to the board and do problems, but I liked in mu college class when all students had to go to the board and do a problem. This reduced stress on the kids. You could choose just as couple to go over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing how such a low-tech white board can have the same results as the "clicker"! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I think white boards are a great idea, but why am I having such a hard time thinking of a way to use them in art? Seems like a no-brainer, but the idea that they will be erased bothers me. Maybe I can use the impermanance of the boards to take away the "fear of the white space" that strikes terror into the hearts of students (and accomplished artists.) Making that first mark on a white space, knowing it might be a mistake, or not knowing where you are going with a drawing, can make kids sit there forever with pencil in hand, staring at white. So maybe the idea that this is just practice, or playing, could be used to just stimulate some simple sketching of an idea. Sort of an ice breaker.

    ReplyDelete