Thursday, March 12, 2009

Using Math Cross Curricular-Wise With Health Standards

This type of strategy can be used in any content area. I will use an example that I made up in our Health Standards classes I was involved in. I wanted to incorporate mathematics into the health standards, it was a daunting task to say the least. Teachers just have to be creative and relate the material to the students. An example I used was decision making when having a new baby.

The prompt that I wrote addressed that the student and their spouse just had baby and it is going to cost them 15000 the first year. The students have to calculate the total finances it is going to cost over the next fifteen years if each year after the first year it costs about 5149 a year. They have to graph the results and then write a short couple of paragraphs on how they will deal with this financial obligation. What if twins were born?

This really helps students learn about real-life situations and makes mathematics real. As a teacher I really learned how to listen to radio, television, and other media to make new math projects and equations for students to build off of and make the math come to them.

Dig in we are almost done!

No comments:

Post a Comment