Saturday, February 28, 2009

Students never act how you think they are going to act!

I took over an algebra class in the high school. The class is the last class of school and the kids tend to be a little rowdy and do not follow directions very well. I was very nervous that this class was going to be out of control and not willing to participate in class discussion.

Much to my lack of faith, the students were very willing and attentive. I had volunteers to answer questions and they worked quietly when the class assignment was given. I had even noticed that one student that was taking notes, this is something that I had not seen when the actual teacher was teaching.

I made sure that I was confident in the material and was able to give instruction fluently so that the students did not have excessive time to get off task. Also, if they got off task, I made sure to get them back on task, it worked very well. So, I have learned to have more confidence and not judge what students are going to be like when they have never been taught by me. Lesson learned! Phew!

3 comments:

  1. I also took over an 5th block class that's a little rowdy, but the students are really fun. I prefer classes that are a little wild to classes that are dead. I guess it is a matter of focusing their energy in the right direction. Redirecting energy seems easier than creating it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean Dirk, I have had some times that is have not been confident in the material that I have been teaching and it is like fear, students can smell it. I feel that by redirecting off task behavior is the best way in dealing with students behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dirk,

    This is so true. one day the kids are great, the next day they are not. I then have to think about what external factors might have affected their mood. Maybe it is the lesson plan, maybe they are having a bad day, maybe it is snowing outside and the list goes on and on.

    I am glad the class went well for you
    Katie Cook

    ReplyDelete